Summer Outdoor 2019
Soccer Skills Development & Leagues for Youth
We use Lions Park field 1 and 2 for most age groups, using multi-coloured touchlines to mark age specific fields. Here are field layouts for Mondays&Wednesdays and Tuesdays&Thursdays. U12s play games at Drumquin Park or Bronte Meadow, due to special field size for 9v9.
What are the important dates to remember?
Season begins on or after Victoria Day, May 21, 2019. There are no activities on holidays and on Lions Park field 1 and 2 during Aug 6-9th, 2019 because town closes fields for maintenance. Rain-outs in U4-U12 cannot be made up; league games in U14+ will be, if possible.
All U4 to U10 groups finish on Saturday, August 24th with a special festival day at Lions Park.
All U12-16 teams will finish with a tournament in August at one of the league member clubs. Dates are TBD by hosting club. Details will be posted on the league website Escarpment Soccer League.
All U18s will play in the MSA Adult league which ends end-of-August. Winning teams will receive a player/team award.
Who is coaching my child?
We utilize volunteer and paid coaches, both of which have been trained through age appropriate courses delivered by the Ontario Soccer Association (OSA). Coaches have to have a soccer background in order to be able to demonstrate the skills they are teaching. MSA has developed a training plan for the season, which standardizes each training session across teams and provides coaches the proper pathway during the season. This training plan follows the Long-term Player Development (LTPD) guidelines put forth by the Canadian and Ontario Soccer Associations.
What are training and games days? How much are the fees:
- MU4s (co-ed born in 2015): Tuesdays 6:30-7:15PM – $230
- BU6s (boys born in 2013-14): Mondays 6:30PM-7:25PM – $245
- GU6s (girls born in 2013-14): Thursdays 6:30PM-7:25PM – $245
- BU8s (boys born in 20011-12): Tues training & Thurs games* 6:30PM-7:15PM – $265
- GU8 (girls born in 20011-12): Mon training & Wed games* 6:30PM-7:15PM – $265
- BU10 (boys born in 2009-10): Mon training & Wed games* 7:15PM-8:15PM – $290
- GU10 (girls born in 2009-10): Mon training & Wed games* 7:15PM-8:15PM – $290
- BU12 (boys born in 2007-8): Tues games** 6:30PM-7:45PM and Thurs training 7:30PM-8:45PM – $305
- GU12 (girls born in 2007-8): Mon. games** 6:30PM-7:45PM and Wednesdays training 6:30PM-7:45PM – $305
- BU14 (boys born in 2005-6): Tues. training 7:00PM-8:30PM and Thurs. games** 6:30PM or later start – $310
- BU16 (boys born in 2003-4): Mon games** 7 or 9PM start and Thurs training – $320
- GU18 (girls born in 2002 or older): Monday games*** 7-11PM – games only – $255
- BU18 (boys born in 2002 or older): Sunday games*** 2-8PM – games only – $245
- NOTE: All game times U10-U18 are approximate as determined by league.
Taxes, uniform and player award^, and all governance fees included.
- * = league play with home games in Milton and away games within 30 mins drive
- **= league play with home games in Milton and away games within 50 mins drive
- ***=all league games are in Milton as part of our adult league. Make-up games due to rain-outs may be scheduled during the week.
- ^ = player awards for all U4-U12 players; awards for league and Cup winners in U14 and above
What are MSA’s objectives for your child this summer?
U6s will focus on more fundamental movement skills, touches with the ball and play 15 minutes of 3v3 games (boys and girls will be separated on different days).
U8s will start a two day a week program, with 45 minutes of training and 2*20 mins games. This is when training is paramount to work on ball skills. Games are 5v5 and serve as an introduction to the sport. Players will have fun and make friends on their team. The concept of winning and losing is carefully introduced (no scores – no standings).
U10s train for 60 minutes and play 7v7 games for 2*25 mins. We expect stronger participation in training sessions focusing on passing/receiving/shooting. Rudimentary formations will be introduced. Some FIFA Laws of the Game will be explained.
U12s practice for 75 mins and play 9v9 in a 2*35 mins match. Training focuses on ball handling under pressure of the opponent, decision making, passing over distance, finishing. More complex FIFA Laws of the Game are explained (eg. offside).
U14s-U16s practice for 90 minutes and play 11v11 for 2*40 or 2*45 mins respectively. Main focus is moving the ball quickly and accurately, set plays, more complex play, full FIFA laws of the Game. This is when soccer begins. Friendships are ingrained among returning players and new kids make new friends. The concept of team work is introduced and becomes apparent to all.
U18s: It’s game time! Players in this age group are typically busy with other life-work events but still like to play and stay in shape. Players join the MSA Adult league and all games are on local fields.
Do you have an Adult League?